Is it worth trying different papers when using markers or pencils?

Hi there and welcome to another episode at Sweet Cherry Cards.

Today I am sharing with you my experience, using different paper with my markers and pencils. I guess I've been too lazy to try it out before, (also I get my products from abroad and have to wait at least two weeks for them to arrive so I try to stretch them as much as I can) but I decided to try them now with my Kit and Clowder class on colouring Dog breeds.

I bought canson marker pad and Strathmore coloured pencil pads last year in Miami. I ve used them but not really for what they were intended. I continued to use ordinary cardstock, yet I kept wondering why my colouring was not coming out the way I expected. For instance, the marker blending was not smooth and the colour pencil blending was challenging.

So I decided to do things differently for class and try using the papers as they were meant to be used. Here is my colour pencil attempt at colouring the maltese dog breed.


I found it was easier to do the strokes on the Strathmore Color Pencil paper which resulted in lots of texture to my colouring, and a smooth blend of colours.

This one is in markers



I found it easier to make my colours blend on the canson marker pad. Even though it is thin there was no bleed through, but I still found that I couldnt do too much blending as the colours would separate after awhile so I have some more work to do this and it is not the best for diecutting.

Now to answer the question ...Yes... it is worth it. If youre like me still on the journey of discovery in card making, ...it is definitely worth trying out different papers as you want your craftmanship to look perfect (with very few human errors).

So try this out! Tell me what you've discovered.

Comments